Date archive for 2012

I Didn’t Know You Could Do That With SharePoint

by Wendy Neal - on Jun 20th 2012 - No Comments

“I Didn’t Know You Could Do That With SharePoint” is the name of a class I teach to our SharePoint power users at my company.  The goal of this class is to demonstrate some advanced solutions that they can implement on their team sites, without having to write any code.  We cover eight advanced topics in just an...

Your (SharePoint Site Is) Driving Me Crazy: Design Tips for Non Designers

by Wendy Neal - on Apr 10th 2012 - 7 Comments

Now that I’m seeing more and more public internet facing websites and blogs that are built in SharePoint 2010, I’m seeing more and more really bad SharePoint sites. Full disclosure:  One of my passions is user interface design, and I do realize that not everyone has that passion or the ability to design pretty websites. ...

How to get absolute URLs in SharePoint

by Wendy Neal - on Feb 28th 2012 - 3 Comments

Recently I was working on a project where I am building a Site Directory that lists all top-level site collections and their first level sub sites.  In addition, for each listing we wanted to display the site image and some other information.  We encourage our users to change their site image and theme to make their sites their own,...

The BDC Service application is not accessible. The full exception text is: There are no addresses available for this application

by Wendy Neal - on Jan 27th 2012 - 5 Comments

Today I was trying to set up the BCS on one of our SharePoint servers.  After I set it up I wanted to verify that it had been configured properly.  Clicking on the “Manage” link from the “Manage Service Applications” page in Central Admin gave me this error: The BDC Service application [Name] is not accessible....

Adventures With SharePoint 2010 Security Updates and Troubleshooting PSConfig Errors

by Wendy Neal - on Jan 20th 2012 - 2 Comments

Recently we installed some security updates to our SharePoint servers, only to find out later that we were having issues caused by our incorrect application of those updates. The problems surfaced when we were trying to do a routine backup from our production site collection and then restore that site collection down to a dev and test...