2014 was a busy year for me! It was my first full year at a new job, in which I have learned a tremendous amount. In March I attended the Microsoft SharePoint Conference in Las Vegas and was honored to be interviewed on Channel 9, which was broadcast throughout the conference.
On the blogging front, in June I migrated my blog from Blogger to WordPress. At the same time I changed my domain from sharepointwendy.com to wendy-neal.com, and I expanded my blog’s focus from strictly SharePoint/Office 365 to include other topics such as web design, blogging, mobile, usability, and others.
Blog posts and articles on other sites
In addition to writing for my own blog, I also contributed to several other sites on a semi-regular basis. Following are all my posts on sites other than this one in 2014:
- Dec 10, 2014 – 4 Ways SharePoint Navigation Breaks Usability Best Practices
- Oct 7, 2014 – What to Do Before You Become a SharePoint Developer
- Aug 11, 2014 – Why You Should Never Upgrade SharePoint
- Jun 17, 2014 – 4 Ways to Kick Start Your SharePoint Implementation
- Apr 4, 2014 – 4 Common Reasons SharePoint Projects Fail
- Mar 13, 2014 – The Future of Office and Features to Use Today
- Feb 12, 2014 – Are You Getting the Maximum ROI from SharePoint?
- October 7, 2014 – Fun with SharePoint Calculated Columns
- August 1, 2014 – Removing “Limited Access” permissions overrides item-level security settings in SharePoint
- July 25, 2014 – Unable to modify SharePoint 2013 web part properties
- July 18, 2014 – Clever use of the Search Box web part in SharePoint 2010
McGladrey Tech blog
- December 23, 2014 – 5 ways to get your SharePoint project back on track
- November 25, 2014 – 25 usability tips for SharePoint 2013
- November 7, 2014 – SharePoint: Creating a page vs. a sub-site
Speaking Engagements Last Year
I cut back a little last year on the speaking engagements – following are the events I spoke at in 2014:
- SP24 – Top 20 Usability Tips for SharePoint Sites
- Iowa SharePoint user group – Top 20 Usability Tips for SharePoint Sites
- SharePoint Saturday Twin Cities – 25 Usability Tips for SharePoint 2013/SharePoint Online Sites
Upcoming Events and Activities
So far the only event I’ve confirmed to speak at next year is SPBiz (the SharePoint Virtual Business Conference) on June 17, 2015. I’ll likely also speak at our local Iowa SharePoint user group and perhaps a SharePoint Saturday or two. Nothing has been confirmed yet.
I hope to be able to attend the Microsoft Ignite conference in May, but I’m not sure if that will be in the cards just yet. I’m still working on that 😉
I’m looking forward to continuing to contribute, through writing and speaking, to the SharePoint Community in 2015 and beyond. I’ll continue to write articles for CMSWire.com, SharePoint-Community.net, and the McGladrey Tech Blog, as well as I have a couple more venues targeted for next year. I also hope to start blogging on a more regular basis on this blog, so be on the lookout for that.